The weekend of February 2-4, 2018, sixteen of our Confirmation youth, along with four adult leaders, joined about 150 other youth from the Metro Chicago Synod for a retreat at Lutherdale Bible Camp in Elkhorn, Wisconsin.
Here are some of their reflections:
“Lutherdale was so much fun! Not only was it an amazing bonding experience, but it was also a way to make new friends and share my faith with others. I'm sad this was my last year.” —Ripley Johnson
“Lutherdale has brought me closer with my church. Through the worship, the activities, even meal time; I have formed really strong bonds with my confirmation class. It is amazing what this camp can do for the relationships you have with the people from your church, I have become best friends with near strangers and even closer with the ones I knew. I believe that having strong connections with my congregation has strengthened my faith, being this close with my church has made me excited to grow closer to God.” —Angela Tomaso
“I bonded with a lot of new friends and the food was really good. I experienced God in how everyone was really nice and supportive of one another.” —Amanda Briggs
“At Lutherdale, I learned about God through the group talk things the most. It was fun to be with my friends all week and we got to know each other better. The only thing I wasn’t very excited about was the singing and dancing, but otherwise it was a great experience.” —Marek Potuznik
“I had a really great weekend at Lutherdale. Our kids are really great and this was such a nice reminder. It was nice to get away and focus on our faith. There were many highlights. I have listed a few below...
- There was no "girl drama." I don't know if you noticed, but there was NONE. Quite the accomplishment for 10 teen girls in a small space.
- I was entertained on the ride up and back with the vocal stylings of our young confirmands. These girls can really sing!
- It was great to hear what everyone was looking forward to when they arrived home. It was a nice way to spend our congregational time.
- I learned that I will never win at Apples to Apples when playing with 16 teens.
- The biggest highlight was at the end of worship when we were singing "Cast Your Burdens onto Jesus" and the song leader pointed to Mandy to let her know that Jesus cared for her and she let out a yelp of excitement. It was a great, surprising, genuine moment.
- The music was great fun and it is still running thru my head.”
—Cathy Johnson (Adult leader)