JOB DESCRIPTION: NURSERY COORDINATOR
POSITION REPORTS TO: Associate Pastor of Christian Education
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Part-time (approximately 5-10 hours per week)
EFFECTIVE/APPROVAL DATE: May 6, 2016
POSITION OVERVIEW: The Nursery Coordinator is responsible for providing oversight, planning, and the smooth and safe operation of the Nursery at Christus Victor Lutheran Church (CVLC). The Nursery Coordinator provides a welcoming, safe, caring environment for infants and small children, and a place where parents can feel confident their child will receive the highest quality of care and ministry. The Nursery Coordinator will need to be present at all weekly worship services - Saturday, 5:00pm; Sunday, 9:15am; and Sunday, 10:45am. Additional services (i.e. Lenten Services, Christmas and Easter Services, etc.) and special events may be required as needed.
DIRECT REPORTS: There are no direct reports to this position; however, this position will oversee the Nursery volunteers.
- Oversees the care, maintenance, cleanliness, security, and safety of the nursery areay and equipment.
- Manage supplies and equipment, as necessary, in coordination with the church office.
- Assist with the development and annual review of the nursery policies (sick children, cleaning schedule, etc.) with Pastor for Christian Education/ Nursery Team/ Christian Education Team.
- Ensure a current copy of the Nursery Guidelines are printed and made available in the nursery for families and volunteers.
- Develop and maintain current knowledge and application of First Aid certifications.
- Provide regular communication with Pastor for Christian Education and with the parents regarding any illness, injury, or other incidents.
- Recruitment and coordination of additional nursery workers/ volunteers, as necessary. Development of a schedule and system of communication and reminders for nursery workers/ volunteers.
- Provide orientation and training for new nursery workers/ volunteers. This will include discussing and explaining the Nursery Guidelines/ Policies.
- Screen all nursery workers/ volunteers and ensure all background checks and references have been completed.
- Ensure coverage of at least two (2) adults (Nursery Coordinator and at least one volunteer) for each worship service - Saturday, 5:00pm; Sunday, 9:15pm; and Sunday, 10:45am.
Service Specific Responsibilities
- Be the chief childcare provider for the Nursery, supervising the volunteer staff and monitoring ratio of workers to children.
- Be the chief greeter of parents and their children, supervising the sign-in and sign-our procedures.
- Be in charge of all first aid, diaper changing, discipline, and extraordinary concerns.
- Maintain records of nursery workers and children served, sign-in and out sheets, and nursery reports (after each nursery use).
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills, especially dealing with parents and children in a professional manner.
- Completion of basic First Aid, including child/ infant CPR training (or must be willing to become certified at CVLC expense).
- Supportive of the mission and vision of CVLC.
- Organizational skills.
- Previous childcare experience and minimal computer skills are preferred.